The Knitting Elf

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Old Jewelry

So as it doesn't look like I'll be able to upload any new pictures for at least another week I decided to start posting old projects. The first was inspired by Otto (my violin bow), the second by Johnny (my violin):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I made this pendant to look like the frog* on my bow. It's constructed mainly of brass tube and an 18 gauge sheet of silver.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This necklace is made of tiger tail wire and (broken/very used) violin strings. At the base of each string is the "knob" you see at the top of each "dangle". This is used to attach it to the violin tailpiece** and helps keep the string nice and tight. Each brand wraps their strings with different colors of thread (I collected strings from my own stash and also received some from violin playing friends and teachers). The little white bead-like thing at the bottom of each "dangle" is hot glue (I was worried about the ends coming unraveled after I cut them).


My hair is red now.....I'm not sure yet if I like this shade. It's a bit more purple than I was hoping for. Tomorrow I'm going to get it cut, maybe it'll look better then? I suppose part of it is the shock; I've only ever had brown hair. I think I'll leave it for a week or two and if I'm still not happy with it I'll try it again :o)


*The frog is the part of the bow (long stick) that the performer holds in their right hand (picture)

**The tailpiece is where the base of each string is attached to the violin (or viola, cello, and string bass). It is usually located next to where the violinist/violist would place their chin; on a cello/string bass it is at the bottom of the instrument (
picture)

4 Comments:

  • I hope you like double-stops...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM  

  • Margene - a couple of my friends have ivory bows; I always thought it was so cool that they weren't black like everybody else's. Sorry it broke though. And I'm glad you like the necklaces :o)

    David - I can't promise they'll be perfectly on pitch right off the bat but they can be fun (esp. in really fast pieces where you just rip into the violin!). I forget; which piece is it you're arranging??

    By Blogger Melannen, at 8:05 PM  

  • I totally love the frog necklace. Can't wait to see your hair too.

    By Blogger Katherine Of It All, at 10:24 PM  

  • It's a tune by Astor
    Piazzolla, 'Mort'. Yeah, it means 'Death', but it's quite an interesting bit of music, full of major 7 chords and occaisional Bartok-style melody/harmony relations. I'm a little over half finished with the arrangement... I doubt I'll have it done by Saturday, but if I remember, I'll bring what I have.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter