The Knitting Elf

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Computers are dumb

So you know how I had my lap top kinda working?? Well now I need a new hard drive.

Yeah, I'm really pissed.

Things were looking up; I managed to back up everything and decided to wipe the hard drive (it's been running a bit slow lately anyways and needed to be done). I wiped it and starting reformatting/installing programs when suddenly I get a blue screen that said a bunch of stuff that basically meant 'you're screwed please try again'. This is when I started whining to Daddy (I love having a computer nerd for a Dad!); he does a some tests, tries a bunch of stuff, and says "well, I think we need to replace the hard drive". So we try to get it out so we can see what kind it is and go buy a new one and we can't get it out. Call the company; they won't tell us what kind it is but will ship us a new one for $400 plus shipping (it would cost me about $800 to buy a new and better lap top)!!! So I guess we're going to take it in to Daddy's friend to have the hard drive removed and it'll be around $50 to replace it. Daddy set up his old work computer but when I try to upload pictures from my camera it makes funny sounds and turns itself off so I'll be making pictureless posts for awhile.....This means it wasn't really Sister's fault that it crashed; something was already a little funky and it just gave up (she's soo relieved; she was really beating herself up over it).

In not so depressing news I went to see my ear doctor and he says the infection that I've had for about 2 years is finally just about gone (yay!!). We've been able to keep it at bay for the past year but haven't been making much progress till now. My doc is so weird. I swear he has a different color of hair every time I go see him. He's been through white, black, auburn, grey, sandy blonde, brown, and light blonde.

As far as the knitting thing goes -

  • I've finished my cardigan but there's things about it that I'm really unhappy with and need to fix.
  • I've started and finished boogie time (the watch thing) but it doesn't stay where I want it to; so it's going to be fixed too.

This week I also started my shawl and my first pair of socks!

  • I'm scared of running out of sock yarn so I made the cuffs really short; they're going to be like ankle socks. I'm using a simple 2x2 rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks.
  • I was showing the shawl pattern to one of my neighbors that was wondering what I was doing and she said "you're making that? Now??". I tried to explain that lace looks a lot different after you block it but she just looked at me like I was crazy. The way she was talking to me made me feel like she didn't think I was capable of making it!!


Stupid ignorant person.


Oh, yes; I know you've all been dying to hear all about my reunion (in case you can't see it; that sentence is dripping with sarcasm). That particular update is still coming but won't be posted till tomorrow or perhaps Friday.

2 Comments:

  • I bet you could buy some wide band elastic at a craft store for a buck or two, sew it into a loop and sew boogie time around it.

    Sorry to hear about the computer. I hate hate HATE hardware problems.

    Also: so cool, you're starting socks! Bring them Saturday, I want to see :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

  • Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do to fix it. I might even make it to the craft store today!

    And of course I'll bring the socks on Saturday; just please ignore all my beginner mistakes :o)

    By Blogger Melannen, at 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter