The Knitting Elf

Saturday, July 01, 2006

It's Saturday!

Today's Saturday so that means it's time to post a picture of what the sky looks like today (if you have no idea what I'm talking about go here); here's what I see from my backyard:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oooo, Aahhh :o)

At SnB today everybody learned about my deep dark secret. Well...ok, it's not really deep or dark; and I guess it's not really a secret either. So I guess they just learned a bit of random trivia about me: I am dyslexic. It usually only reveals itself when I write (reading's great and I enjoy it!). I am a horrible speller and have a really hard time with grammar. Because of this, my favorite program on my computer is Word. Whenever I type up a blog post (or craftster post, or email, etc.), I copy and paste it into a Word document so I can use the 'good spell checker' and it also checks my grammar. I also proof read so many times I often memorize the text. I am very self conscious about my spelling abilities and hate writing/typing without using my spell checker.

Sometimes it makes me feel bad because my pen pals have to wait so long to hear from me. When I write to them, I first type my letter in Word, then spell check, and finally write it out. Sometimes it takes me a few days to finish a letter that I'm happy with and then when I write them out I often make stupid spelling mistakes and start over. I'm usually able to deal with it but it's still a bit embarrassing and I was teased a lot as a child. I used to have a friend that loved to write me letters but I never wrote back because I was so self conscious. We fought quite a few times about it till we made the arrangement that she would write and I would call on the phone. It worked quite well until she moved, stopped writing, and I lost her address....I've been thinking a lot about her lately....I wonder what she's up to and where she is...

-Cardigan Update-
I'm about half way through one of the sleeves! I'm hoping to be finished with them both by tomorrow so I can start on the neck and button band (which means I need to go button shopping yay!). Tomorrow I'll post 'in progress' pictures!

Oh, and I changed my list of favorite songs. My favorites change a lot so I'm probably not going to mention it every single time I change them.

4 Comments:

  • Kudos to you for actually caring enough to try spelling correctly. So many people don't bother and they don't have to face the challenges you do.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at 10:52 PM  

  • It is great that you have the tools to help you isn't it?! I once had a professor in University who was hooked up with the Canadian Institute for the Blind so he could listen to all his books and dictate all his thesesis. No need to feel self conscious!

    By Blogger Martina, at 7:58 AM  

  • Ooh, Radiohead! Have you heard 'Scatterbrained'?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

  • dorothy & in a sknit - thanks for your nice comments! I hope you drop by again sometime!

    david - I don't think I've heard that one; I'm borrowing a bunch of CD's for the dreaded reunion. I'll have to see if I can get that album (Hail to the Thief right?).

    By Blogger Melannen, at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter