The Knitting Elf

Thursday, June 15, 2006

New Yarn!!

Today I received my first order from Knit Picks!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm going to make my first sweater (Sesame from MagKnits) with the Wool of the Andes (Blue Bonnet and Maple Syrup) and a lace shawl (this one) with the Shimmer (Morning Mist). The Shimmer is soo soft!! I can't stop petting it and I can't wait to knit it up! I'm going to start the sweater first because to start the shawl I'd have to wind the hanks into balls first and I want to do something with this yarn now :o) (I'm swatching as I type this)



This summer I'm planning to take a break from swapping on Craftster. At first the reason was I kinda overloaded myself and was stressing over it; but I think even if I hadn't overloaded myself I'd want to take a break anyways.

I have been so frustrated with my latest partners!! For the last two swaps (Secret FOC, and Amazing Tshirt) I've had to post pictures of what I've sent (the person receiving is supposed to post them or at least request that the sender does). Maybe it's just me but I think that's rude!! After putting a lot of work into a package everyone deserves to have their partner rave and gush over their stuff. It feels so awkward to post your own pictures, kinda like your showing off or "tooting your own horn". I always make it a priority to make a big deal over what I receive even if I don't adore every bit of it.

I just finished another swap ("Menstrual Care Package Swap", pictures to come in a few days) and it looks like I'll have to post my own pictures again!!! That's three in a row!! This has also happened to me three other times (Harry Potter Swap, partner left out pictures of the big item, I posted pictures a few weeks later; Friendship Bracelet Swap - partner never posted pictures, neither did I; Chocolate Swap - I posted my own, partner finally posted some almost two months after the swap ended).

Maybe the stuff I make isn't really as cute as I think it is?? I really do my best to "post stalk" my partners and tailor each package to their likes. I love swapping, but maybe I'll just do one-on-one swaps from now on :o(

2 Comments:

  • First off, isn't getting yarn in the mail great? Even though *you* paid for it, it still feels like Christmas when you open that big squishy envelope. I got a bunch of sock yarn in the mail from knitpicks recently, and it still makes me smile every time I look at it.

    Secondly, yes, it is kind of rude that your swap partners haven't posted pics, but in their defense, if they're anything like me, they're swamped with works-in-progress, and if they *do* find a spare minute, they probably forget to snap a pic. I'm a bit of a Luddite; I don't own a digital camera (yet), so every time I want to take a picture of a project, I have to trek over to my brother's place to take pics.

    But I also agree with taking a break from craft swaps. I'm currently trying to finish a bunch of gifts for friends and family, and it's starting to feel more like work and less like fun, so after I finish these projects, I'm just going to take it easy for a while and only work on things for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  

  • Yes, getting yarn in the mail was like Christmas!! Add that to the fact that I just love getting “not bill” mail, I was absolutely giddy!!

    I see your point about not having a digi cam and having to take time to get pictures. I've seen some people post a list of what they're received and than asked their partner to post pics, I would've been thrilled to at least have them acknowledge my hard work by posting a message but two of my partners didn't even do that. :o(

    I can't wait for this weekend to be over; I'll finish up my last couple of swaps and have lots of time to work on stuff for me!! Yay!!

    By Blogger Melannen, at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter