The Knitting Elf

Thursday, August 17, 2006

What to do??

So I'm finally feeling motivated to fix my cardigan. However, I have no idea what is the best way to go about it. I wish I lived next door to a knitter (well, ok, I do live next to a knitter; but she only makes dishcloths. No, really, that's all she's ever knit or had the desire to knit). And I wish my lap top was up and running because then I could upload pictures so you could all tell me what I should do....

I can't make it to S'n'B this Saturday, maybe I'll have to wait till Tuesday's meeting. *sigh* Till then, here's a description of what's wrong. Maybe somebody will know what I'm talking about and have some ideas:

1) It's too short. I'm thinking that I can block it again and get a bit more length out of it but should I "un-seam" it first?? I guess I could pick up stitches from the bottom and add a stripe, but it's only about 2 inches too short. Also, if I wanted to add a stripe I'd need to rip out the button band first (which I might do anyways, see #2).

2) The button band ruffles. I used the same size needles for the button band as the body of the sweater; maybe I should rip it out and use a size or two smaller? Or perhaps I bound off too loose?? Part of me thinks this might also be something that blocking could fix but then the button holes (which are already too big) would get bigger.

3)I changed colors on the wrong side for the collar. I was trying to be all tricky and knit the first row of the new color and then continue with 2x2 rib (which really does work, it's soo cool!!) but the way the collar sits when I actually put the sweater on makes it really visible. In order to rip the collar out and fix it though I'd have to first rip out the button band. I think if I block it again and make it sit right I could live with it; but if I'm going to be ripping out the button band anyways I might as well right?!?

4)I completely screwed up the cuffs. I love really long sleeves. So I was thinking I wouldn't need to fold them back; I was wrong. I changed colors on the wrong side (again doing the tricky 2x2 rib thing) and when I seamed them I didn't do as the pattern suggested (seaming the cuff on the other side so you don't see it when you fold them back) I just seamed the entire sleeve the same way. They're knit starting at the cuff but they really bother me so I'm thinking I'll undo my CO edge and rip out the first 2 or 3 stripes.

I have no idea where to start. If it helps, I used Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks and the pattern is Sesame from MagKnits.



It'll probably be another couple of weeks before I can get a new hard drive for my lap top. There's a slight possibility that it's still under the manufacturer's warranty (rather then the warranty from the bloke that sold it to me). I've been investigating that but as of today have not been very successful. If it isn't, Daddy thinks I should just spring for a better hard drive but it would be about 3 times the money and I'm kinda broke right now.


I'm making fabulous progress on my shawl! I've just passed the half-way point (yay!)!! The way it's constructed is: you knit one half, do it again, and then graft them together. So I've finished one half and have (barely) started on the other.


My mittens have been neglected. I need to sort out my tension problems (I keep pulling too tight, grrr). After I have that worked out, or at least better, I'll CO with the real yarn :o)

3 Comments:

  • A of work. How frustrating. Congrats on your shawl though.

    By Blogger Katherine Of It All, at 2:17 PM  

  • Well, Jess, it's like this. If you don't fix it, will you wear it? If it's unwearable, what will you do with it? My mother used to 'liberate' yarn from sweaters she had knit that she was unhappy with, then reuse the yarn for something else. Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without is I believe the Yankee saying. Just trying to be pragmatic here. Your shawl IS lovely though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 PM  

  • I definitely won't wear it till it's fixed (as evidenced by it being "finished" for over a month). I've ripped out the cuffs and button band. While removing the button band I came to the conclusion that indeed I had to many stitches picked up (good call margene!). I'm going to bring it to S'n'B today; I think I need hands on advice/help from a more experienced knitter. That and a good kick to get me going :o)

    By Blogger Melannen, at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter